The natural inclination towards the Habiganj Zila Origin and their ancestors residing in the United Kingdom has inspired them to promote and develop their social and cultural and National Heritage. By such an inspiration. A Habiganj Zila Association, Hampshire. UK has been formed on the day of 1st September 2003.
Henceforth it is called the constitution The Association and its name:
(i) The Association shall be known as The Habiganj Zila Association, Hampshire.UK. (Hereinafter called the Association)
(ii) The Association shall be a voluntary non-political and charitable Organisation.
(iii) The oﬃce of the Association shall be situated in the United Kingdom. The address shall be decided temporary or permanent by the executive council.
Aims and objectives:
The Aims and Objectives of the Association shall be:
(i) To render utmost help and work for the beneﬁt of the general member and particularly those who hail from the district of Habiganj, Bangladesh.
(ii) To work towards reliving condition of poverty, provide practical help through personal or recognized agency, in housing, employment, and Immigration etc,
(iii) Acquire further knowledge through government training scheme or education training and other services or otherwise to inﬂuence appropriate authorities for further development in various ﬁelds.
(iv) To promote, social, cultural, religious, and national activities and act upon when necessary.
(v) To co-operate with other organizations and Institutions for the beneﬁt of Habiganj Zila Association’s members in the United Kingdom or in Bangladesh.
(vi) To create a healthy and friendly atmosphere with other members of the community and other general members of the public.
The Funds: The funds of the Association shall be raised by:
(i) Membership subscriptions this shall be ascertained by the Annual General Meeting.
(ii) Donations cash or in kinds.
(iii) It holds its own fund raising activities.
(iv) Grants from local or national authorities or any other organizations & other sources.
There shall be two kinds of memberships:
1. One bona-ﬁde membership.
(1) Bona-ﬁde membership shall be open to any person who hail from or a native of Habiganj. (Bangladesh) at the age of 18 years all bona-ﬁde members shall have the voting rights.
2. Two associate membership.
(2) The Associate members shall be open to any nationals, who will uphold the interests, aims and objectives of the Association, but shall have no voting rights.
The terms of the oﬃce shall be for 12 (twelve) months from the date of formation of committee. Due to the gravity of agenda ‘5’ it was reiterated by the members of AGM to put forward as this was immediately omitted from the agenda list. It was unanimously agreed to bring this as an item to discuss the matter e.g. Any member wish to apply for presidentship or any oﬃce bearer of Habiganj Zila Association. He or she must put forward the whole panel. This was accepted at the AGM.
(i) Membership fees shall be decided and ﬁxed for the period of one year at the AGM.
(ii) All applications must be submitted with appropriate fees and on oﬃcial forms.
(iii) Memberships are open to all qualiﬁed persons (bona-ﬁde or associates) throughout the year, with exception of a period 14 days prior to election or selection.
(v) Memberships are renewable on its due course.
(vi) Nomination fees must be submitted with application and on time ﬁxed by the AGM.
(vii) Members may withdraw their nomination application at any time within the set period but their fees are not refundable.
(viii) Members may withdraw their memberships at any time provided that a written notice is given to the secretary.
(ix) Every member will be entitled to put forward their views and opinions to Chairperson or Secretary in writing.
(x) The council shall be empowered to supervise delegate or direct all activities of the association in conformity and fulﬁlment of its aims and objectives.
(xi) The council shall be responsible for its development. The council shall have the full authority with consent from its general members, to buy or sell in order to further the development of the Association.
(xii) The council will arrange AGM within one month and within its constitutional year.
(xiii) For any unusual or unforeseen circumstances the council may defer the AGM for one calendar month, provided that the majority committee is in agreement with this proposal/s and properly recorded.
(xiv) Election will be held on the following month.
(xv) Any amendments to the constitution must be put forward in writing.
(xvi) Membership shall be open to all Bangladeshi at the age of 18 years or over and abide by the rules and regulations of the Association.
(xvii) The executive councillors shall be empowered to delegate a task to any Bangladeshi under the age of 18 years.
(xviii) Any Bangladeshi originated from Habiganj Division (native) are encouraged to become a member of the Association, under the age of 18 years old, but they will not have the voting rights, until they reach eighteen years of age on or before the day of election.
The Executive Councillors/ Committee:
The Governing Body of the Association shall be ‘The Executive Council’ (Hereinafter Called the Council) the Council shall consist of:
Executive Councilors …………………………………16
Cultural Welfare & Education Secretary………1
Organising & Sports Secretary…………………….1
Women Aﬀairs Secretary……………………………..1
Advisory Committee Members / Election
Commissioners with one Chair person………..5
The Chairperson shall be the chief spokesman of the Association. He or she will be conversant with the aﬀairs of the Association, and shall promote Habiganj Zila Association for the beneﬁt of its members and their interests.
(1) He/She shall represent the association.
(2) He/She shall be responsible for day to day running of the Habiganj Zila Association.
(3) He/She shall look after the welfare of the members to the best of his/her ability.
(4) He/she shall sign and countersign all cheques, documents, deeds, jointly with secretary, treasurer or any other nominated person/s of Habiganj Zila Association.
(5) He/she shall be entitled to exercise the casting vote only in the event of a Tie.
(1) The Vice-Chairperson shall assist the Chairperson in the performance of His/her duties.
(2) Vice-Chairperson any one of three will act in absence of Chairperson.
(1) The General Secretary shall be the executive oﬃcer in charge of the Association.
(2) He/she shall keep records of minutes, correspondence, and keep accurate Records of accounts.
(3) He/she shall issue notices of meetings and general meetings, and minutes of all proceedings, maintain a register of all members with their addresses.
(4) He/she shall keep accurate records of all expenditures.
(5) He/she shall supervise the work and duties of all other oﬃcers of the association and shall report as appropriate to the council’s meeting.
(6) He/she with assistance of all other oﬃcers shall arrange meetings compile reports and submit to all meetings.
(7) He/she will represent the Association when necessary.
(8) He/she shall sign all cheques, documents, deeds etc, in conjunction with the Chairperson and Treasurer.
(1) The. Treasurer shall in conjunction with Chairperson and Secretary collect all monies due to the Association.
(2) He/she shall keep records of all minutes, correspondence, and keep accurate records of minutes.
(3) He/she shall issue cheques and authorize expenditures and in conjunction with Chairperson, Secretary or both as the case maybe.
(4) He/she keep accurate records of expenditures accounts for the association.
(5) He/she shall keep records of all income and shall produce regular ﬁnancial statements, bank statements, or when councillors request them.
(6) He/she shall deposit all monies, funds as soon as possible to the nominated bank or Association’s bank.
(7) He/she produce ﬁnancial report to all the councillors meetings.
(8) He/she should be an owner of a leasehold or freehold property.
(1) He/she shall assist General Secretary with all execution of his/her duties.
(2) He/she shall deputies the General Secretary in his/her absence.
(3) He/she shall execute all detailed tasks and duties.
(1) The Assistant Treasurer shall assist the Treasurer in the performance of duties and execute all the responsibilities especially detailed to him or her.
(2) He/she shall deputies in absence of the Treasurer.
(3) He/she should be an owner of a leasehold or freehold property.
(1) He/she organize all sports activities on behalf of the association.
(2) He/she must promote the association to all other organizations and promote Its activities to wider general members.
(3) He/she must improve the quality of physical training programme to general Members ofHabiganj Zila Association.
(1) The organizing secretary shall be responsible for developing and creating a friendly and healthy atmosphere among the general members of the Association.
(2) He/she shall keep in touch with all other organization and general members of The Association. And promote our mutual interests.
Advisory Committee or Councillors:
(i) Advisory Committee or Councillors shall be the directive body of the Association.
(ii) The Advisory Committee or Councilors shall be elected or selected by the general members of the Association.
(iii) The committee shall consist of (5) members one of which will be a Chairperson and 4 members the chairperson will be selected amongst the so called committee (hereafter called Advisory Committee or Council).
(iv) The Advisory Committee or council shall arbitrate in the event of dispute between member/s of the Association or executive committee or council.
(v) The Advisory Committee or Council shall advice the committee for the betterment of the association.
(vi) The Advisory body shall be empowered to call any meeting/s of the Association. For any reason/s the Chair General Secretary or any other oﬃcer/s or member/s are indiﬀerence at anytime during their term in oﬃce, or when it is absolutely necessary, which shall be decided amongst themselves, to call such a meeting/s shall require at least majority of bona- ﬁde members duly signed and approved to convene.
Advisory councilors Or Election Commission or Selection Committee:
1. Advisory Councillors shall be elected or selected from the AGM they are the body with special power and they are empowered to conduct a fair election or selection for the greater interest of The Habiganj Zila Association.
2. Advisory Councillors are the body who shall arbitrate if there is a need.
3. Advisory councillors shall meet whenever necessary.
4. The council may fulﬁl a vacant position post/s from the bona-ﬁde general members of the Association with agreement from at least the majority of its council members.
5. Advisory Councillors shall have no voting rights.
(1) All Councillors shall attend meetings regularly, failure to attend three (3) consecutive meetings shall result his/her membership as councillor being cancelled. But if there is a reasonable cause being shown to the executive council, then, councillor could consider the matter and decide. In any case he or she remain as an ordinary member of the Association.
(2) The Council shall decide by majority of votes, on all matters brought to the council for their consideration.
(3) The advisory body will listen to any comments opinions and views from the general members of the Association. Any member/s wishes to propose an idea/s or opinion for the advancement of the Association it must be put in writing to the executive council’s meeting for further consideration.
Executive Councillor’s Meetings:
(1) In the case of Executives Council Meeting/s shall require 7 clear days written notice to be given to all bona-ﬁde members and Associates. But for Emergency Meeting/s there shall be no speciﬁed period ﬁxed for this purpose.
(2) In all General Meetings minimum of (4) four weeks written notice shall be required.
(4) Annual General Meeting shall be held on an agreed day and time decided by the Executive Council.
(5) There shall be at least (6) six executive meetings per year. The committee Shall hold meetings time to time or as necessary.
(6) There shall be oﬃce bearers meeting frequently.
Minutes and Minutes Book:
There shall be minutes book kept by the oﬃcer secretary the secretary shall enter therein a record of proceedings and enter all resolutions.
(1) The Quorum for the Executive Council Meeting shall be in presence of One third 1 /3rd of the total council members. For the General Meting/s the quorum shall be a simple majority provided a notice has been sent to all bona-ﬁde general members and associates. Any subsequent meeting/s for the same purpose will be eﬀective irrespective of quorum.
(2) For the Annual General Meeting where a notice has been sent and records of posting being obtained the QUORUM is inapplicable.
(1) Bank account shall be open in the name of the Association at an agreed and nominated bank decided by the executive council. It shall be operated by the Treasurer, General Secretary and Chairperson jointly or by their nominated assistants.
(2) The Executive Council must take resolution and mandate if there shall be any changes in the arrangement.
Selection or election and Voting:
(1) First choice to select the Executive Council, if it is not possible then, the Election Commission shall be responsible to hold an election by secret ballot. Only bona- ﬁde members are allowed to cast their votes in the election.
(2) Election details shall be circulated at after the date has been ﬁxed at the AGM or by the Advisory council or Election Commission. At least (4) four week before the election.
(3) No proxy will be permitted. (Only on exceptional circumstances, (e.g. Doctor’s order, disabilities, or in hospital.) These causes must be substantiated by certiﬁcates, it is only then the commission could consider the matter and may allow to vote. (The Commission must be notiﬁed prior to election.)
(4) The General Election of oﬃce bearers and Executive Members will be held as agreed by the AGM. Advisory Council or Election Commission shall carry out the process.
(5) Should it not be possible to hold The Election in due course and time, then, the council may extend for up to (4) four weeks provided such a decision is taken by the majority of members. All bona-ﬁde members must be informed in writing of the forth-coming election.
(6) In the event of a resignation/s of a member/s within the executive Council, the committee shall select or elect as the case maybe from the general member/s for the remaining term of the oﬃce.
(7) In case of absence, death, or resignation one or more member/s of the Advisory council, or election Commission, then, the previous members of the committee(who are not in the oﬃce at the time) shall elect or select one or more member/s to fulﬁl the post/s to serve the purpose.
(8) If the whole committee intends to resign whether it is executive Council or Advisory council or election commission, then, they must resign to the Welfare oﬃcer of the Bangladesh High Commission in the United Kingdom. They must lodge all relevant papers and documents etc, to the oﬃcer/s of the High Commission.
(i) The Election Commissioners shall follow the rules and law of the land of United Kingdom. The Election Commission shall invite an independent observer/s for the duration of the election if it is deemed necessary.
(ii) The Commission shall invite all the post/s of the oﬃce bearers and executives and circulate and display on the notice board within the Association.
(iii) All nomination papers shall be proposed and seconded by the bona ﬁde member/s of the Association. The nomination papers or application/s must be submitted with appropriate fees at the time of application.
(iv) The Election Commission shall consist of 5 ﬁve members one will be the Chairperson (Chairperson shall be selected or elected among the ﬁve commissioners). At the AGM/GM
(v) The Election Commission shall take charge of the oﬃce from the date of AGM.
(vi) The Election Commission shall be fully responsible for holding a fair election.
(vii) The Commission shall hand over the oﬃce to the newly elected body/committee within one week of its declaration.
(viii) For any reason/s whatsoever, the commission or commissioner/s panel member/s or an individual person cannot be sued by any panel/s or party or parties or indeed by any person or persons of the said Habiganj Zila Association. If at all shall be indemniﬁed by the Association.
(i) Interpretation of the constitution Act, 1978. Shall apply as it applies to the interpretation of an Act of parliament.
(i) If during the life time of this Association an opportunity arises to oﬀer an Honorarium to its executive committee member/s or any other member/s then, it shall seriously consider the matter, and resolutions taken by the executive council.
The Executive Committee shall be empowered to terminate membership/s for any of the following ground/s provided that the individual member is:
i. Convicted by a court for criminal oﬀence
ii. Found to be un-sounded mind and not capable of follow proceedings of the meetings.
iii. Defaulting to pay the annual subscriptions on due date and time, having being notiﬁed by notice/s. iv. Found to be an activist and against the state, or The Association.
(i) Member/s of the committee shall cease to hold oﬃce if he or she is disqualiﬁed from acting as a member of committee by virtue of section 72 of charities Act 1993 (or any statutory re-enactment or modiﬁcation of those provisions.)
(ii) Becomes incapable by reason of mental disorder or injury of managing and administrating his or her own aﬀairs.
Special Terms and conditions:
The Chairperson, General Secretary, Treasurer and honorary oﬃcers of the council/committee shall hold oﬃce for a term of one year, and shall be eligible for re-election for a second term. But in any case Chairperson, General Secretary and Treasurer shall not hold oﬃce for more than, 2 two consecutive terms of the same post. At least one year (one term) must elapse, on expiration of such a period any former oﬃcer/s shall be eligible for re-election.
(1) Any member/s is proved to have made or conducted an act against the interest of the Association or any ﬂagrant remark/s or breach of conduct or prejudicial to the Habiganj Zila Association, shall result disqualiﬁcation from the membership. But an opportunity will be given to be heard by the executive committee, before a ﬁnal decision is made.
The procedure for amendments to the constitution is as follows:
(ii) Habiganj Origin
(iii) By virtue of Bengali mother tongue
(iv) Live in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland
(v) Term of oﬃce from the date of election until the next Annual General Meeting
The above rigid items maybe amended by referendum only, conducted by an Advisory Council or Election Commission and with independent observer/s.
Stage: One:- At least 3/4 of the Executive Members of the Council should propose for Any amendments to the constitution.
Stage: Two:- Recommended by the full Advisory council.
Stage: Three:- The proposed amendments with the existing theme of the constitution Should be informed by the Chairperson to each and every bona-ﬁde Members, in black and white for their written consent. At least a simple Majority should be achieved. This must be ratiﬁed at the General Meeting.
Revised Constitution 2015.
1. Executive committee shall be 16
2. Oﬃce bearers shall be total of 9
3. There shall be Advisory councillors 5 with 1 chairman
4. The term of oﬃce shall be for 12 twelve months from the date formation of committee.
5. All membership shall be closed on 31st January of that year until the formation of a new committee. There shall be no new membership entertained for this period only, otherwise membership open to all eligible persons throughout the year.
6. AGM shall take place within 15th April of that year. The commissioners will take charge on AGM.
7. Commissioners shall hand over the oﬃce to the new committee at the end of April. With exceptional Emergency clause: for extension only for 7 days, with written application to the commissioners.
8. Membership shall be open to all inhabitants of Habiganj regardless of age gender or sexual orientation.
9. Eligibility for membership and voting must be at the age of 16 years of age or over on the day of election or selection.
10. Any member/s wish contest in the election of Habiganj Zila Association must full ﬁll the qualifying period of 12 complete months prior to the election or selection process.
11. Chairperson, Secretary must have a quality of communication skills and at least basic knowledge of spoken English language.
12. Election or Selection will be with due process.
13. Advisory councillors will automatically become election commissioners. Their duty will end once they have hand over oﬃce to the new committee.
14. The new committee will then select an advisory council
15. Any executive or oﬃce bearers do not attend 3 consecutive committee meetings without real cause or apologies the committee may decide to replace a member/s after giving written notiﬁcation.
Aims and Objectives:
(ii) after Immigration, Education promoting learning language skills which will in hence integration for further development of the wider community.
The Habiganj Zila Association shall render utmost help to look after the interest of it’s members and shall provide facilities for education seek assistance from the local Government oﬃce or any other organizations to further education, relief of poverty, and recreational and leisure time occupations to improve social interest of the community.
Cultural Welfare & Education Secretary:
Women Aﬀaires Secretary:
Organizing & sports Secretary.
Any ﬂagrant breach or conduct prejudicial to the interest or cause of the Habiganj Zila Association shall result member/s found to ﬂout the constitution of the Association or break the discipline, work against its objectives or the district of Habiganj maybe expelled by the committee, which shall be ﬁnal.
This constitution has been authorized by: